Student Health Plan
The Student Health Plan (SHP) has been developed especially for Cornell students (and their dependents) to provide access to consistent, efficient care that complements the health services offered on campus. The details of the plan are reviewed and recommended each year by Cornell’s Student Insurance Advisory Committee (a group of student representatives, university administrator, and health services staff) to ensure that the coverage is well suited to the needs of Cornell students and respectful of their budgets.
SHP is a comprehensive plan that exceeds all of the standards for student health insurance developed by the American College Health Association. The SHP also exceeds the requirements of the Affordable Care Act (U.S. health care reform law). The SHP is underwritten by Aetna Life Insurance Company. For information about what the SHP covers at Cornell, in the Ithaca area and beyond, how to make the most of your benefits, and other aspects of this plan, visit www.studenthealthbenefits.cornell.edu.
The SHP is a comprehensive plan that:
- Provides extensive coverage at a reasonable cost for most on- or off-campus medical care from August 17th through August 16th of the following year.
- Provides coverage 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, anywhere in the world.
- For students in Ithaca, provides coordination of services by Gannett Health Services and a preferred provider network that includes the local hospital.
- Covers pre-existing medical conditions.
- Guards against catastrophic expenses.
- Continues coverage when students have to take a leave of absence.
- Meets or exceeds all F-1 and J-1 visa requirements.
- Includes world-wide travel assistance and emergency air transportation services.
- Offers optional dental and vision plans for members.
- Provides convenient assistance with enrollment and claims submission through the Cornell Office of Student Health Benefits.
For more information about the SHP:
- Review this year's SHP overview (pdf).
- Visit the Cornell University Office of Student Health Benefits or call their office.
- Go to the Aetna Student Health website to review the SHP benefits online, choosing the “Student Connection” link, and then entering the Cornell Policy Number of 711115.