Law, Vet, & Johnson Students
Students enrolled in Cornell's Vet School, Law School, and Johnson Graduate School of Management are required to have health insurance. All students are enrolled automatically in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
New this year
- International students must be covered by the Student Health Insurance Plan. They will be enrolled automatically, and the charge will be applied to their bursar bill.
Learn about this policy »
- Domestic (U.S.) students may consider appealing enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan. However, they are required to purchase SHIP, unless they can demonstrate they have coverage through another health insurance plan that meets all four of Cornell's (2014-2015) criteria for adequate health insurance.
- Learn about the appeal process »
Each year you will need to make an important decision about your health insurance. There may be several insurance options available to you. It is worth your time and money to review your choices and select the plan that provides you with the best access to care, privacy, and financial protection.
Step 1: Do your research
Please review our "Insure Your Health" fact sheet collection. The set includes a comparison chart to help you judge the relative value of the SHIP and other insurance plans.
Click on an image to open an individual pdf file.
Step 2: Review the following
Payment Options for SHIP Members
When the charge for the individual premium appears on your bursar account, you can:
- Pay the premium in full, OR
- Enroll in the Monthly Installment Payment Plan (pdf). This option allows you to pay over time and carries a small service charge. Come to our office to sign up for this before the October 31 deadline.
Premium Refund Policy
There are only a few situations in which the SHIP can be cancelled and the premium refunded. If claims from any provider have been submitted and paid for any period, no refund will be provided under any circumstances. Take time now to learn more.